Guide to the National Banking System
This publication is a part of:
Collection: Comptroller’s Licensing Manual
This guide provides an overview of the national banking system, its regulation, and the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). Specifically, it:
- Provides background on the national banking system.
- Provides an overview of the OCC's organization, including its mission, structure, and staff.
- Discusses the value and approach of OCC supervision.
- Outlines the OCC's corporate application process and discusses permissible banking activities for national banks.
- Discusses the OCC's supervision philosophy and its examination process.
- Shows how the OCC uses checks and balances to ensure equitable, quality supervision.
- Includes OCC contacts, additional OCC publications, and other resources.