Date: November 14, 2017
Description: Revised Comptroller’s Licensing Manual Booklet
The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) issued today the "Business Combinations" booklet of the Comptroller's Licensing Manual. This revised booklet replaces the booklet of the same title issued in December 2006. This booklet incorporates updated procedures and requirements after the Office of Thrift Supervision (OTS) integrated with the OCC in 2011 and the issuance of revised regulations (12 CFR 5), effective July 1, 2015, that address applications for national banks and federal savings associations proposing to execute a business combination.
Note for Community Banks
This booklet applies to all national banks and federal savings associations.
The revised "Business Combinations" booklet
- provides an overview of policies and decision criteria that the OCC considers when reviewing applications from banks seeking to execute a merger, consolidation, certain purchase and assumption transactions, and reorganizations under 12 USC 215a-2.
- describes the application process, including the prefiling process, filing and review of the application, the decision, and the post-consummation phase of the combination.
- provides guidance on application requirements and explains under which circumstances a streamlined business combination is granted.
- lists references and links to informational resources and sample forms and documents that applicants may find useful during the filing process.
Please contact Karen Marcotte, Manager for Licensing Activities, at (202) 649-6260.
Stephen A. Lybarger
Deputy Comptroller for Licensing
- "Business Combinations" (PDF)